Thursday 4 May 2017

Meet Paula 'Cast Iron' Kastrouni - Westcoast's first female CRN Fight Night contender

By Sam Brenkal

If there’s one Westcoast employee that you don’t want to get on the wrong side off, it is surely Paula ‘Cast Iron’ Kastrouni. This month, sales account manager Paula will confidently stride into CRN fight night 2017, aiming to unleash the frustrations of three (almost) alcohol free months of extreme training onto her unwitting opponent.


We spoke with Paula to find out a bit more about the woman behind the flying fists and why she has decided to take on the mantel of securing Westcoast’s first winning belt in the annual fight night event. “I’ve been involved in martial arts in the past, I enjoy having something to work towards and a challenge to look forward to. I enjoy going out and having a wild time so this has made me calm it down and focus on something else, giving me a controlled environment to release my energy”


Paula has certainly not underestimated the gravity of this challenge, embarking on a three month rigorous training regime leading up to the big night on May 25th. Sacrifices, mostly alcohol related, have had to be made to stick to the strict training regime that consists of at least four intense sessions per week.  “The training has been great, I’ve been punched a lot, but thoroughly enjoyed most of it. I’ve sprained my wrist, messed up my nose and had a black eye, but strangely it leaves me feeling buzzing, almost drunk and i quite like it”..

Fighting is in the blood for Paula, her father is extremely accomplished at martial arts, training with the same trainer that trained Bruce Lee. “We’ve always enjoyed doing it (martial arts) together for fun and now i will be fighting in a real ring raising money for charity!"  In the build up to the fight, Paula is planning to do some training with her dad, who will no doubt be able to provide some valuable advice. “He always said that fighting is not about winning, it’s about not losing. The motions involved are all designed to protect yourself, it’s about the power coming from the hips and finding space in the ring”.

Paula will be supported on the night by colleagues, friends and family. Asked about her loyal fans, Paula answered “They will want me to do well, but I’m sure there will be a couple of colleagues that won’t mind seeing me getting punched in the face a couple of times”.

Paula is fighting not just for Westcoast and personal glory, she is also representing the British Heart Foundation, a cause that is very special to her. “Last year my mum’s partner was very ill, he was in a coma. The courage and fight that he showed to make a full recovery was incredible, it made me want to challenge myself. I will carry that inspiration with me into the ring”.

“My tactics for the fight are to not lash out, stay focused and just give it my all”. We are extremely confident that Paula will do us proud and bring home Westcoast’s first female Fight Night winners belt.

Paula will be fighting on the 25th of May at the Brewery, Chiswell Street,Central London. 



If you would to support Paula and donate to the British Heart Foundation please click here. 

If you're lucky enough to be there on the night make sure you show us your support by tweeting us @Westcoast_UK . For those who are unable to attend, the main event will be streamed live on our Facebook page.

Good luck Paula!



No comments:

Post a Comment